4.06.2009

texture...

I just recently started taking a metalsmithing class at Lillstreet Art Center.  Despite the fact that it takes me an hour to get there, I've really been enjoying it.  It's great to be learning something totally new.  Yesterday I learned how to texture metal by putting it through a roller with fabric, wire, leaves, etc.  Now I am constantly searching for different materials to create unique textures.  This morning I made the ring above using nickel that I had run through the roller with some vintage trim.  The only sad part is that the trim gets completely destroyed when it goes through the roller, and there is only so much of it that I want to sacrifice!
Below is my very first project: a pendant made with copper and nickel.  It looks a little "crafty", but I learned a lot of techniques in order to make it...


1 comment:

Kelly said...

Oooooh! Texture on metal?! I can't wait to see what else comes out of this class!!